About two weeks ago Jaylon brought this giant mangled balloon looking thing, home from work with him. It had landed in one of our fields. I had no idea what it was lol, Jaylon said it was a NOAA weather balloon that had come clear from Los Angeles, CA. I decided to google about weather balloons to learn more about it. And what I found out was quite interesting.... I found out that the NOAA National Weather service launches weather balloons from 102 sites in the U.S everyday to help with the weather forecasting.
This is the battery powered instrument that is suspended below the weather balloon while its floating through the air. After they release the balloon it rises 20 miles in the sky, while its in flight the instrument obtains data for wind direction, speed, changes in the atomosphere, and helps them identify severe weather. The data is sent to a ground receiver that sends all the information to the NOAA national weather service. Once the balloon reaches 100,000 feet it eventually pops and falls to the ground. And one of them so happened to fall into our field :)
This picture off the Internet sort of gives you an idea of what the balloon looks like when its floating through the sky
I though it was all pretty interesting, and I learned something I never knew before :)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Two weeks ago Jaylon had to dig up some of our back yard with the backhoe, to work on the sewer.
Me and Bandit were sitting outside watching, enjoying the warm sunshine :)
But then the sunshine got a little to warm for Bandit haha
The other day it got Really windy and this Giant tumbleweed rolled to a stop beside the house. It was almost as high as my shoulder. (sorry the picture got a little fuzzy)
We finally got some rain here on Saturday, thank the Lord! We havent had rain in almost 3 months, now the air smells fresher and its not so dusty :)
Have a blessed day!!
HANNAH

wow that is neat ! I feel like we had science class! are you supposed to send it back or call anyone to report it? and does Bandit always have his tongue hanging out? haha
ReplyDeleteMarmy and Faithy
Yea, in the tube was a package to mail it back to them in.
DeleteHaha it sure does seem like it :o)
Love ya :)
Hannah
That weather balloon is interesting.
ReplyDeleteI wonder how many people think they are UFO's.
I never knew NOAA launched them.
But, it makes a lot of sense, to know what's going on up there.